Bulli Medical Practice is this year, celebrating 125 years of continuous operation, making them one of the oldest general medical practices in Australia.
A SHORT HISTORY!
In 1895, after the opening of Bulli Hospital and Bulli Public School, Dr Clifton Sturt (pictured) purchased the premises on Park Road and built a small medical practice alongside his own home.
Dr Barton Dixon took over the practice in 1903 and was instrumental in the development of Bulli District Hospital. Dr Dixon was a keen photographer and took many images of Bulli and Wollongong in the early 1900s.
In 1922, the practice was purchased by Irish migrant, Dr Francis Crossle . Dr Crossle was a colourful character who visited patients via horse and sulky until he bought a car. He caused a scandal when he published his novel ‘Dona Juana’ in 1931, which was considered risqué at the time. Some of his friends included D.H. Lawrence and Norman Lindsay!
Dr Bertram Cook took over the practice in 1938 and was superseded by his brother, an ex-army officer, Dr ‘Captain’ Cook. In 1958, another ex-army serviceman joined the practice, Dr William (Bill) Feneley. Bill’s commitment to medical services and education earned him an Order of Australia in 2000. He received the ANZAC Medal for services to charitable and community organisations in 2001.
More recently, Dr Julie Blaze joined in 1997, and, together with Drs Jeff Hall and Michael Hanson, expanded and modernised the practice.
Today, with ten doctors, four practice nurses and a dedicated administrative team, the practice continues to provide quality, personal healthcare in the Northern Illawarra. They also offer a comprehensive travel medicine service, a weight management program and a skin check clinic.