Brilliant Brassica Soup
That old adage of an apple a day keeps the doctor away could easily be replaced by a serving of broccoli a day keeps the doctor away! The brassica family includes cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower. Besides adding flavour to meals these vegetables are packed with antioxidants and are an awesome source of prebiotics to keep our gut healthy. This soup showcases them at their finest and packs a serious prebiotic punch.
And now is the perfect time to make up a big batch considering the brassica family is ripe for the picking this season, making them readily available and cheap compared to other times of the year.
GF | DF | NF
- 2 broccoli, florets and stems roughly chopped
- 1 cauliflower, florets and stems roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or ghee
- 1 onion, diced roughly
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped roughly
- 4 cups of homemade vegetable stock
- 1 handful eacg of parsley and mint, chopped
- Himalayan salt to taste
- In a large saucepan melt coconut oil / ghee and cook onion and celery on a low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add chopped broccoli and cauliflower including the stems (this is where the goodness is) along with the vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add seasoning and chopped herbs.
- Blend in a food processor or blender until smooth and pour back into the saucepan for reheating if needed.
I like to serve mine with crusty sourdough and a side serve of fermented veggie, just to up the ante on the nutrition stakes. If you want to make it ‘creamier’, you can add a tin of coconut milk prior to blending.
This is a great dinner in winter, and you can also enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Stephanie Meades is a Holistic Health Coach with Life Wellness Co. For more wholefood inspiration or tips on living ‘well’ join our online community on facebook, visit our website www.lifewellnessco.com or follow us on instagram: lifewellness_co.
If you need further ‘stock inspiration’ Stephanie is also running a ‘Meat Stock & Bone Broth’ workshop on Saturday 17th June at Manic Organic, Woonona. Check out the details on our website or in-store at Manic Organic.