Wollongong City Council will complete essential remediation and repair works on the two ocean pools at Austinmer beach.
- Refurbishing the eastern sea wall
- Repairing the side walls of both pools
- Replace the existing hand rails along the eastern sea wall
- Refurbishing the concrete pathway between both pools
- Repairing leaks under the sea walls
Council is planning to begin the works in May 2014 and will continue over winter. During construction Council is asking that all community members refrain from swimming in the pools. Alternative pools are located at the rock pool at Coledale, off Northcote Street, or at Bulli.
“This is an example of another piece of the city’s ageing infrastructure that is deteriorating. This renewal of Austinmer’s rock pools will help us secure these beautiful pools which are valued by the community,” said Mark Bond, Recreation Services Manager. “The works will help to protect this asset before it becomes unsafe or unusable.”
The northern Austinmer rock pool was built in the 1920s while the longer pool (southern) was constructed in the 1930s or 1940s.
[phone]02 4227 7111[/phone]