Waterfall General Cemetery – also known as Garrawarra Cemetery – is located north west of Helensburgh, in the northern-most part of the Wollongong local government area.
This cemetery was used from 1909 to 1949 as a burial site for over 2000 tuberculosis patients from the nearby Waterfall Sanatorium, which operates today as the Garrawarra Centre for Aged Care.
Care of the abandoned, and already overgrown, Cemetery was handed to Wollongong City Council in 1967, along with four other cemeteries that were in use at the time. Today, the site has almost completely returned to bushland, and there is currently no public access.
Since 2012, Council has been conducting research into the cemetery with the help of consultants and local historians. A draft Conservation Management Plan has been prepared by consultants BIOSIS, and we’re now asking the community to tell us what they think about the various options outlined for the future management of the site.
A short film “Not Forgotten: The Story of Waterfall General Cemetery” has also been produced to provide members of the public with a better understanding of the current condition of the Cemetery. The film also provides an overview of the site and its history.