This weekend, September 12 and 13, the Rural Fire Service is holding Get Ready Weekend, to encourage all of us to prepare our homes and our families for the long, hot summer ahead.
Acting RFS Zone Manager Inspector Michael Grey says this weekend is a chance to visit your local RFS station, meet the volunteers and collect information on the best way to prepare your home.
Inspector Grey suggests the following:-
– Trim overhanging trees and shrubs
– Mow your lawn and remove cut grass
– Remove material that could burn from around your home
– Clear your gutters
– Prepare a hose that can stretch around your house
– Complete your Bushfire Survival Plan using the MyFirePlan app.
“We are urging all families to create a Bushfire Survival Plan,” says Michael. “Work out what you’re going to do if a fire approaches, where you will go, and what will be the trigger point. Then share it with your family and neighbours.
“A well-prepared community is more resilient to the threat of fire. It’s essential locals are prepared.”