An awesome event is being held at the Timber Mill Studios in Bulli, that has the potential to save hundred of lives. And it’s going to be great fun!
The cause has united the local business community, which has donated thousands of dollars worth of prizes to be won on the night, in order to raise money for ‘Project Purpose’.
There’ll be music, art and food, raffles, auctions and loads of fun.
‘Project Purpose’ gives people in the Northern Illawarra the opportunity improve the health of communities in developing countries such as Indonesia, India, Mexico and South America by giving them access to fresh drinking water.
Here’s how it works. Money raised from the Project Purpose event will be used to buy specially-made lightweight, portable, clean water filters from international charity Waves for Water. Then, when you head off on a surf trip or family holiday, pick up a filter from Finbox at Thirroul, chuck a couple of these filters in your bag, enjoy fresh water while you’re away, then leave the filter for the locals to use.
Each filter can provide fresh drinking water for ten years.
It’s an easy way to bring clean drinking water to parts of the world where it’s currently not available.
The filters are also great for Aussie travellers, as they mean you’ll have access to fresh water while you’re away, without the need for environmentally-devastating plastic bottles.
The fundraiser is the brainchild of local surfer and builder Kain Sissons, who spent years travelling the world before setting up Project Purpose. “The main thing I’ve been thinking,” says Kain, “is imagine if I was doing this ten years ago, when I first started travelling. One filter can provide for a hundred people. Say I’d given out one filter a week, over that time, the effect would be huge.”
Kain used the filters on his travels through Africa, leaving them for communities along the way. “The impact they make is enormous,” says Kain. “Children are used as water carriers in many villages because clean water sources can be kilometres away. Providing a water filter allows them to drink from the local bore, which then frees up the kids to go to school. It’s such a simple fix, but it can change so many lives.”
To read more about Kain, have a look HERE
Project Purpose will be held at the Timber Mill Studios, 2-6 Molloy Street, Bulli.
Doors open at 6pm. Entry is $10
WHAT ORGANISATIONS ARE PARTICIPATING/CONTRIBUTING?
- Finbox – Surfboard collaborated with Dead Kooks
- Skipp Surfboards – Custom surfboard
- Byrne Surfboards – One on one design consultation and machine shape custom surfboard
- Treehouse School of Shapes – Voucher to shape & design own board
- Dp Surfboards – Fresh surfboard off the rack
- Zion Wetsuits – Wetsuit pack
- Hurley – miscellaneous products, H2O demonstration
- Sandon & Woonona Boardriders – Support & promotion
- Moko Construction – Catering, staff and management
- Wollongong Water Tanks – Support & promotion
- Timber Mill Studios – Venue
- Mood Juice – Lucky door prizes
- In the Soul Shine – Lucky door prizes
- Frolic Girls – Lucky door prizes
- The Naked Minds – Lucky door prizes
- Atolia Jewellery- Lucky door prizes
- Dean Snushall Photography – Exhibiting
- Sandon Point Photo – Exhibiting
- Thurston Photo – Exhibiting
- Lloyd Meudell – Exhibiting & auctioning
- Misha Harrison – Exhinbiting
- Torren Martyn – Ehibiting & auctioning
- Mr Grizzle – Exhibiting
- 4 Pines Brewery – Beer & cider supplier
- Reay’s Catering – Mexican food
- Christian Surfers
- Surfrider Foundation South Coast