The Moore Street district in Austinmer has a distinct culture that is underpinned by the local architecture and local personalities – Fireworks Cafe is a great example of both…. a fine old building and the effervescent charisma of owner and chef, Scotty Russell.
Fireworks Cafe was built in the 1920’s as a butchery, apparently with no electricity (evidenced by the wiring later being added externally), next to what was then the general store (now Haveli), with the old post office (now a bridal boutique) making up the trio.
“If you walk along the path between Fireworks and Haveli you see can still see the remnants of an old Bushells Blue Label tea sign”, says Scotty, “they would not have put that there unless it was in full view, so the butchery must have been built after the general store.”
Scotty Russell moved to Australia in 1985 from the deep south of New Zealand, where he had been in the navy, with the desire of travelling the world. After exploring the east coast and Western Australia, he met his wife in Sydney, and made the move to Austinmer almost 11 years ago, and decided that the existing Fireworks Cafe was a great way live and work in the local community, and to further develop and share his culinary skills.
“The cafe is called Fireworks because a couple of owners before us, it was owned by potters, hence the name because make a pot by firing it – they also ran it as an art gallery.”
Scotty has a special themed evening every month called “Big Night Out” where he explores the cuisine of different cultures, with past events including Spanish, Indian, Brazilian, Scandinavian, Russian, French, Tunisian, Moroccan, Turkish, Mexican, Caribbean, Cajun, Malaysian, Indonesian and Vietnamese.
“Since it is my birthday, the May Big Night Out is a celebration of things that I like to eat and cook. I
would to celebrate my coming of age (again & again & again) with you so why not grab a red and come along to join.”
The May BNO will be held on Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th May – booking essential.
- Parsley stuffed tomatoes w/ almond & roast garlic sauce
- Crab & ginger dumplings w/ lemongrass sauce
- Scallops w/ sorrel in puff pastry
- Rabbit & quail sang choi baow
- Beef & mushroom tartlet w/ bearnaise sce
- Sweet potato corn & okra gumbo w/ red beans & rice
- Blue eye cod w/ saffron, fennel, verjuice, olives & pequillo peppers
- Chicken breast w/ salsa maro & parsley & porcini potato gratin
- Slow cooked lamb w/ spiced potato crust & eggplant chakchouka
- Cassoulet w/ white beans, pork, sausage and duck confit.
- Chocolate & Brioche pudding
- Rhubarb & Fennel soufflé w/ ginger ice cream
- Roast pears in puff pastry w/ grape syrup
- Banana puddings w/ their jam & rum and toffee sauce