Many small businesses are now using Facebook business Pages to help increase their exposure, and for the most part, this social network has helped to keep them connected to their audience, but for anyone that is serious about using Facebook in their business, this may also create an enormous amount of distraction and procrastination, when their personal and business connections become intertwined.
Separating the two halves of your Facebook activity has two major benefits. It allows you to keep your personal Facebook experience as just that – a space where you can interact with friends, which is uncluttered by business promotions – while keeping your business identity linked to as many other Facebook businesses as possible. Doing this greatly increases the networking power of this medium.
Cleaning up your personal Facebook space
The first step is to clean up your current personal Facebook space and remove things that relate to your business. Be sure to keep a list of what you remove.
- After logging in to Facebook, go to your personal profile by clicking on your name of photo in the top left corner
- Scroll down the left column and click LIKES; http://www.screencast.com/t/FeVQKAkBIUOt
- Roll over each of the square images to see that a button called LIKED appears
- Hover over that button and you will see UNLIKE
- Here you can either un-tick “show in news feed” (which means you are still a Fan, but won;t see their updates)
- Or you can click UNLIKE
- If you choose UNLIKE, but this is a business acquaintance, make sure you create a list of un-liked Pages
- Continue that process until you have removed everything from your personal space that does not deserve to be there
Switching Facebook Identity
Switching identity is simple – scroll to the bottom of this post to view the video tutorial or click here.
Once you have switched identity, you can search for the businesses you remove from your personal profile and LIKE them again. These other businesses will receive a notification of your action, and hopefully they will do the same in return 😉
A short cut to getting connected to many other businesses as your new Facebook business network, is to visit another Facebook business Page that is in your area or industry, scroll down the right column to the Likes, and click SEE ALL; http://www.screencast.com/t/H6VNlUMI
From there you can quickly get connected to the networks that other businesses have accumulated.
Taking advantage of your new business network
At least once a week, you should switch identity, then click the Facebook logo in the top left corner (to go back to the home page), and you will then see all the activity of the business Pages you have liked.
By Liking, or commenting on these posts, you are actively supporting those businesses, and also helping to maintain a presence for your businesses in their active networks.
Switching back to your personal Facebook identity
Simply click the cog symbol in the top right corner, and click on your name.
GongOnline are social media experts, providing powerful and sustainable web design solutions for small business. Contact GongOnline to find out how you can streamline your communications, and seize the power of Facebook to magnetise your business.
[phone]800 33 441[/phone]